June 28, 2007

Death Note, Can I Wield It?

This is actually from Full Metal Panic: TSR. It just has Death Note Characters :P

This amazing anime comes to an end, a little differently from the manga or movie. The conclusion came out a little better and not as unsightly.

The story revolves around the morality of killing. When does one have the right to take somebody else's life away? In todays society, some accept the death sentence to punish those worthy of it. Some deaths are celebrated when the one who dies really deserves it.


Earlier I was in Quiapo, buying some items. Before I could talk to the saleslady, a flurry of events happened. A middle-aged man, his 20-ish daughter and the granddaughter walked pass me to the next stall. Grampa started shouting and cursing at her daughter, probably furious that the daughter left the stall to do something or another. Everybody else went silent and tried to ignore them. I went about looking at what I wanted to buy, but taking glances to keep tabs on what was happening.

I witnessed something that will probably haunt me for a long time. The grampa used his bear feet to kick his daughter in the face. Strong enough that the back of her head hit the metal shutter gate behind her. More curses, then he kicked again. No blood, but disturbing nonetheless.

Why then, did I not do anything? The excuse in my head was lame: it was a family matter. Being a father or husband does not give one the right to hit someone.

What would you have done?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

tough situation...I don't know what I would've done also. :( maybe you witnessed that for a reason...even if you couldn't help that woman, maybe there will be others you can help. :)

dionne said...

grabe! that's really horrifying. given the situation, i would have froze and not be able to do anything too. =( just the thought that somebody can do that to their own child really disturbs me. =(

Loopy said...

that's horrible! i think everyone should have the hotline of DSWD saved on their mobiles! i can't imagine a guy hitting a girl - much less his own daughter!

much as i'd like to think i would've done something, if i was alone, like you, i would have been frozen. but dammit, that's horrible!