September 14, 2008

Sharpening Skills

Recently I've taken a liking to a weird hobby. After watching a documentary about samurai swords, I suddenly took interest in sharpening knives.

We have always had an old fine sharpening stone. It was already pretty broken up, but still usable. One day I was doing my groceries, and I found out that the store was selling brand-new stones. I was so amused at finding it that I bought it right away and wanted to try it.

I took a picture of the knife’s edge, before I started and when I was satisfied. For the pictures I used one remote flash and reversing the kit-lens to achieve macro.

I found the process of repetitive grinding very therapeutic. It does not take a lot of thinking, but just a bit of instinct and feel. I do not recommend this to people with unsteady hands nor those with soft/thin skin.


After finding out of my current fancy, my mom told me stories about my lolo. He was a native of Betis, Guagua, Pampanga and was a very skilled wood carver. He was very passionate about what he did and borderline Obsessive-Compulsive about his tools. He would spend time sharpening his stuff like chisels and saws. I’m a bit proud of inheriting some of his skill with his hands, height and maybe looks. Cheers, gramps. Keep watching over us.

2 comments:

Loopy said...

You do look like your lolo! I didn't know they sell sharpening stones! How interesting! I shall tell my mom to get one as we REALLY need one. (Well, we also need a fresh set of knives too!)

brymac said...

There are people who you can go to and have things sharpened, but my diy-side just loves this stuff.

Getting/buying new knives won't hurt either :P