July 17, 2005

Half-Blood Prince

Never let your guard down

After a years wait JK Rowling's Harry Potter book six hit the shelves yesterday. As a real fan of the series, I was one of the eager crowd who ran once SM north was opened. After getting the book, I went straight home and was so excited I let my guard down. A mother and baby sat beside me in the jeep and had knicked my digicam right under my nose. I only found out when I got home and tried to find it. Bad luck... oh well, I sorta hated that one anyway. Must save up for a better one.

Anyways, by pre-ordering the book I got 10% off and a P100 book coupon, so it cost me P1,350.

How was it? It was cool. The story had its hilarious moments that made me laugh out loud. But generally, the mood of the whole book was dark and full of loss. It is a fitting prelude to the last book.


SUPER SPOILER AREA(meaning you must have read the book already)

Since book 4 JK has been sending significant characters hurtling to their deaths. But I'm not too happy how seemingly useless and insignificant Sirius' death seemed in book 6. I was hoping that it would trigger something big or amazing in Harry... pfffft.

Anyways, as much as I hate to admit it, Snape may still be working for the good side. Dumbledore was not pleading for his life... but pleading Snape to finish him off. Why? For a number of reasons: To save the Malfoys, To enable Snape to gain total confidence from the Death Eaters and Voldemort so he can sneak and destroy the remaining Horcruxes, and to save Snape himself due to the unbreakable vow.

I kinda liked how Harry's lovelife turned out. its was 6 years in the making but it was well worth it. "The Beast" in him? Sounds like Kintaro Oe (Golden Boy). That uber snogging scene was fantastic! Can't wait to see it in the movies! hahahaahhahhaha.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i still can't believe he is dead... but for a worthy cause i guess...

Anonymous said...

*if you haven't read the book, don't read this comment please!

hey bryan,

salamat may makakausap na rin ako about harry potter.

you're right about sirius death. it left a bad taste in my mouth, parang "ha, ganun na lang yun?" ok sana book 5 but sirius death lacked impact. then again, i was sort of expecting it kaya baka walang impact sa kin.

about book 6, okay yung theory mo about snape :) i think weak as dumbledore was, he wouldn't have given up that easily. book 6's ending was quite unsettling, but enough to make you want to wish book 7 is going to be released soon.

tseri said...

oh my gosh! you may be right! di ko naisip yung kay snape a. hmmm... and yes i agree din, panget yung pagkamatay ni sirius e, kahit di ko alam na sya yung mamamatay. kaya rin siguro di ko maalala yung book 5. i really have to read it again. i like 6. but i like book 4 the best pa rin. pero parang Batman kasi yan. Ok talaga yung Batman Begins pero dark sya. Kaya mas gusto ko pa rin yung Batman Returns. hehe!