January 15, 2005

Liteon SOHW-1653S 16X Dual Layer

Today at last, after almost a month of waiting, I picked up the dvdwriter I ordered from Rising Sun Computers at Taft. It is a Liteon SOHW-1653S 16X Dual Layer and priced at P6,500. Included in the bundle is Nero Express and PowerDVD 5.





The first thing I noticed as I took it out of the box was it size. It's around an inch shorter than older optical drives. After installing it on Tsunami(name of my pc since 1998), Windows XP didn't complain and so I uninstalled the older nero and put in Nero Express.

"This ain't Nero!" I heard myself say. They moved around a lot of the "oohh so familiar" features. But after a while it seemed usable enough :)). But it suddenly hit me, "why is Nero restricting me to 4,400MB?" So I searched the net and found that 4.7GB is a marketing thing. They say that 4,700,000,000 bytes is 4.7GB when it is just 4.3 something GB.

I passed by CD-R King in Quiapo on the way home to sample some of the dvd media available. I bought 10 pieces of a brand named "Premium" which is 4x DVD+R at 9 pesos each and 10 pieces of Ridata 8x DVD+R at 35 pesos each.

Its actually weird that the "Premium" dvds are labeled on top as 4x, whereas its is actually 8x at the bottom and as detected by the drive. I have burned 5 and all of them were perfect. I'm still to try the Ridata media but I have long trusted them with my 'precious' stuff.

I have written anime that has been clogging my hard disks for ages but soon enough I'll be doing avi->dvd and other interesting tricks.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! That is cool;) Kinda cheap for its kind. Enjoy burninating!

Kiven said...

hehe ridata ok den
usually un gamit ko pero 4x burning lang ako para cgurado, di nga lang DL

so far 1 coaster pa lang ako sa Pioneer A07XLB ko

Anonymous said...

Dude, em Premiums burn at 8x? wouldn't know that cause my burner only goes at a max of 4x. 5 min/disc aint bad... aint bad at all. =P
- clyde

brymac said...

yep, they burn at 8x. I think CDRK just painted over them and say they're 4x (beats me why) but the laser writing on the bottom says 8x.

update: RiData 8x is sweet. :D